The recent opening of the Queensland State Tennis Centre at Tennyson is a significant milestone in the history of the area.
The name of this Brisbane suburb probably derives from the name of the famous English poet Laureate, Lord Tennyson. The original name of the area now comprising Tennyson was Soft Stone Pocket.
One of the areas earliest settlers was Thomas Martin who held land in 1887 and constructed a residence which he named Hayslopes.
The area's association with Lord Tennyson extends to the names of many of the street names as well as the names of residences. So, in honour of the names of many of Tennyson's characters we have David, Merlin, Camelot, Lancelot and Vivian Streets. We also have residences with the names Logres, Tintagel and Camelot.
Tennyson is now the home of Brisbane's new tennis centre, replacing the former tennis venue located at Milton.
Find more photographs of Tennyson in the State Library's collection.