We would like to hear from you. Please use one of our forms to register as a member, ask a question or provide feedback.
Information and research services
State Library of Queensland staff can help answer your questions about State Library services and information resources and offer research guidance.
- +61 7 3840 7810
- Opening hours
- Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Feedback to State Library
- Use the Online feedback form to send your compliments or comments or suggestions.
- If you wish to make a complaint, please see our Complaints page.
- Use the Suggestion for purchase form to recommend a book for our collection.
- If you have a technical problem or a quick question or comment, give us a call on 3840 7810.
For more information:
- +61 7 3840 7810 Mon – Fri 9am - 5pm
Or visit us at South Bank at the Welcome Desk, level 1 or Information Desk, level 2 and 3
The State Library of Queensland is committed to handling complaints in a responsive, efficient, effective, fair and economical way.
Feedback including complaints is valuable to us allowing us to review our policies and procedures and leading to business improvement.
This information can also be found in our Making a Complaint fact sheet (PDF 304 KB) .
What can I complain about?
You can make a complaint about any aspect of the service or actions of State Library or its employees, including privacy breaches. If we cannot help you with your complaint we will give you advice about where to get help.
Making a complaint
If you have a complaint, there are some steps you can take to help us help you:
- Go local first
Many concerns can be resolved quickly and easily by speaking with employees at the point of service.
- Act quickly
Please let us know about your complaint as soon as possible. The earlier you tell us, the sooner we can act.
- Make your complaint clear
To help us assess and resolve your complaint, please give details, such as what happened, who was involved, when and where did it happen and any other supporting information. Please also tell us what you would like to see happen as a result of your complaint.
Anonymous complaints will be accepted. However, State Library may find it difficult to thoroughly assess or respond to the complaint if there is not enough detail. In this situation, the complaint may not be investigated.
Who do I contact to make a complaint?
You can make a complaint using any of the following channels:
- online via the web form
- in person by speaking to staff members at service points
- by phone calling 3840 7666 (Mon to Thurs, 10m-8pm, Fri to Sun 10-5) and advising that you wish to make a complaint
- in writing to: State Library of Queensland Complaints, PO BOX 3488, South Brisbane, 4101
- via State Library social media channels
How complaints are handled
How will my complaint be handled?
State Library will properly consider human rights when making decisions in relation to complaints and will act in ways that are compatible with human rights.
In the event that you make a complaint:
- your complaint will be treated seriously and investigated promptly
- reasonable assistance will be provided to you
- the Library will handle the complaint in a way that is culturally appropriate and responsive to any special needs you may have
- attempts will be made to resolve your complaint locally in most instances
- the Library will deal with the complaint in a way that is in line with the seriousness, frequency and consequences of the complaint
- confidentiality will be observed as far as possible
- you will be given timely feedback about your complaint.
What if I need help to make a complaint?
We can help by:
- providing an interpreter if you have language difficulties or are visually or hearing impaired
- letting you know where you can get further help and information.
Privacy and your personal information
In the course of investigating and taking action in response to complaints, personal information will be collected and handled in accordance with the 11 information privacy principles in the Information Privacy Act 2009.
Storage of complaint information
Documentation relating to complaints is stored securely. Information relating to complaints is accessible only by staff members who are required to use the information.
Your complaint outcome
How will I know what’s happening to my complaint?
The Library employee managing your complaint will keep you informed about the progress of your complaint and any action taken.
What can I do if I am unhappy with the outcome of my complaint?
If you are not satisfied with how your complaint has been dealt with, you can ask for your complaint to be reviewed.
What can I do if I am unhappy with how State Library has handled my complaint?
If you are not satisfied with any action taken by the Library in relation to your complaint, and after you have exhausted all available avenues of review within the Library, you can ask the Office of the Queensland Ombudsman to review the decision (phone: 07 3005 7000, toll free: 1800 068 908 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
If your complaint is about a breach of privacy and you are not satisfied with the Library’s resolution of your complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner (phone: 07 3234 7373 or email: email@example.com).
If your complaint concerns Human Rights and you are not satisfied with the Library's resolution, you can contact the Queensland Human Rights Commission.
Annual customer complaint management reporting
Under section 219A of the Public Service Act 2008 219, the State Library must report annually on complaints received.
The table below will refer to customer complaints received during the previous financial year.
Number of customer complaints received by the State Library in the 2018-19 financial year
Number of those complaints resulting in further action*
Number of those complaints resulting in no further action**
*Complaints “resulting in further action” are those where a significant service improvement was identified as a result of a client complaint.
**Complaints “resulting in no further action” are those where no significant service improvement was identified as a result of a client complaint.
Complaints related information and data is available here by September of each year.
State Library at South Bank
- +61 7 3840 7666
- State Library of Queensland
- Cultural Centre, Stanley Place, South Bank
- Brisbane Qld 4101
PO Box 3488
South Brisbane Qld 4101
- Loading Dock
- Cultural Centre, Stanley Place, South Bank
- Brisbane Qld 4101
Loading dock hours are 8am - 4pm
The entrance is off Stanley Place near the Gallery of Modern Art building.
ABN 45 872 652 679