Queensland Places - Ipswich - C.H. Fleischmann, Saddler
By JOL Admin | 3 December 2013
The firm of C.H. Fleischmann, saddlers and harness makers was well known in Ipswich for many years, in particular before the motor car took over from horse drawn means of transport. The firm was originally established by Johan Fleischmann who was born in Germany in 1825 and eventually arriving in Moreton Bay to start a new life in 1857. Upon arriving in Limestone, as Ipswich was then known, he worked for a period for Mr. C. Gorry, saddler before leaving to establish his own business. He commenced his new business in a lane leading from Nicholas Street to Ellenborough Street, later purchasing the adjoining premises.
In 1876, with his business growing steadily, he erected a two storey building and soon after took his eldest son, C.H. Fleischmann, into the business. Johan died in 1897 with his son carrying on the business. By 1907, the business had again outgrown its premises and another larger building, as pictured, was constructed.
The photograph, taken in 1907, shows the newly constructed premises, with various goods and products on display in the ground floor windows, located to each side of the shop’s main entrance. The ornate balcony above may have fronted a second floor residence, or office space for the firm. The design is ornate, with the family name proudly displayed above with the date of the building’s construction. We can speculate that the male figure standing posed to the right of the building, on the footpath, may be Mr Fleischmann himself.
In the early 1980s the building was being used by the First Provincial Building Society, with the front façade undergoing alteration to match its new use.
Brian Randall - Queensland Places Coordinator, State Library of Queensland
Your email address will not be published.