New Bridge to Redcliffe
By JOL Admin | 22 September 2010
The new Ted Smout Memorial Bridge, linking Clontarf on the Redcliffe Peninsula and Brighton on the Brisbane side, opened to traffic on the 15th July 2010. It is interesting to look at the other bridges that have provided an important link to Redcliffe for so long.
The old Hornibrook Highway was built in 1932-5 by the firm M.R. Hornibrook and provided much needed employment during the depression. The bridge is no longer used for vehicular traffic but is popular with walkers and cyclists.
Opening of the Hornibrook Highway, 1935, Image No: 74132
The second bridge, named the Houghton Highway was opened on 20 December 1979. It was named after former Redcliffe mayor and member of the Queensland Parliament, Mr. Jim Houghton.
J.E. Houghton, Mayor of Redcliffe, 1956. Image No: 195355
The new bridge is to be named the Ted Smout Memorial Bridge, in honour of Edward David "Ted" Smout who died in 2004. Ted Smout was a well known and respected veteran of the First World War, who lived in the area for many years. For more information on Ted please refer to this wikipedia article.to to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Smout
Your email address will not be published.