Moorooka Park, Brisbane, 1889 (Map of the Week)

State Library of Queensland has an extensive collection of historical maps of Queensland, some of which have been digitised and can be viewed online.

Moorooka Park. Real estate map, 1883. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Moorooka Park. Real estate map, 1883. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This real estate map for 1889 is advertising 329 allotments of land for sale at the Moorooka Park Estate in the Brisbane suburb of Moorooka.

The auction was held on site on March 2. The allotments were spread over Spencer Street (now Gainsborough Street), Chaucer Street, Keats Street and Johnson Street (now Dinmore Street) as well as parts of Ipswich Road and Beaudesert Road (incorrectly listed on the map as Logan Road).

Moorooka Park. Taken from Moorooka Park estate map. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Moorooka Park. Taken from Moorooka Park estate map. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in The Telegraph and Brisbane Courier newspapers. The advertisements were keen to point out the close proximity of the blocks to the Moorooka Railway Station. The ads also stated that Moorooka Park had no swamps, gullies or broken land and that the site was elevated with good soil.

Brisbane Courier, February 26, 1889

Brisbane Courier, February 26, 1889

The Telegraph, February 27, 1889

The Telegraph, February 27, 1889

The Brisbane Courier reported that attendance was good on auction day and that bidding was "animated". In all 133 allotments were sold that day for a total of £1729.

You can view a higher resolution image of this map through our One Search catalogue.

Myles Sinnamon – Project Coordinator, State Library of Queensland

Comments

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
We also welcome direct feedback via Contact Us.
You may also want to ask our librarians.

On the Moorooka Park Poster, it states that there is a mistake in naming Beaudesert Road, Logan Road. It was in fact called Logan Road until before 1857. The current Logon Road was previously known as Slack’s Track, after the local landowner.