HMAT Borda, November 1915
By Marg Powell, Specialist Library Technician, Metadata Services | 30 November 2015
This unframed, mounted photograph of HMAT Borda is surrounded by the signatures of the officers and nurses on board the troopship, during a voyage from Egypt to Sydney, November 1915.
HMAT Borda was one of five liners owned by the P&O Line, for single-class service from England to Australia. It was leased by the Australian Government for the transportation of troops during the First World War.
This souvenir is a window into the lives of those who were returning to Australia in November 1915.Each signature has been researched and a small entry created to highlight those who were aboard in November 1915.
Click on the underlined name to view more information ...
Top - left to right
- Thomas JONES, Lieut.
- David Day DAWSON, Lt. Col.
- George Henry HOLLAND, Colonel
- Alfred Walter CAMPBELL, Major
- George Vernon STEPHEN, Lt. Col.
- William Charles MARKWELL, Lt. Col.
- Colin Dunlop Wilson RANKIN, Lt. Col.
- Walter SCRIVEN, Lt. Col.
- Thomas PYE, Lt. Col.
- Alfred Ernest CHAPMAN, Lt. Col.
- Stanley Seymour ARGYLE, Major
- James Vincent O’LOGHLIN, Lt. Col.
- William Stanley De COURCY-IRELAND, Lieut.
- Stanley Roy CLEEVE, Lieut.
- Vernon Hermann ROBLEY, Lieut.
- Edith Florence AVENELL, Staff Nurse
- James Percy Alexander MURRAY, Lieut.
- Alice Grace DOUGLAS, Sister
- Lily Malcolm DAVIES, Staff Nurse
- Francis Henry THRIFT, Major
- Thomas Joseph FARROW, Warrant Officer
- William Donald OLIVER, Lieut.
- Lucretia Flower SMART, Acting Matron
- Richard William DEWSON, Warrant Officer
- J.S. ? JACKSON, Lt. Col.
- James LEWIS, Warrant Officer
- J. ANDERSON (not identified)
- ? MORTLOCK, 2nd Officer, HMAT Borda
- Nellie Clarice Richardson ALLWORTH, Staff Nurse
- Florence Katherine BARNARD, Staff Nurse
- Henry RANDALL or KENDALL (not identified)
- Frederick KRICHELDORFF, Lieut.
Many thanks to QANZAC 100 Volunteer, Glen Phillips for his assistance.
QANZAC 100 Content Technician
State Library of Queensland
Your email address will not be published.