The History of the John Oxley Library - Part Six
By JOL Admin | 3 August 2009
Continuing our series on the history of the John Oxley Library, in this, our 75th anniversary year.
Despite limited space and funding, further important initiatives were undertaken. In 1951, the Oxley Memorial Library joined with the Australian Joint Copying Project in the microfilming of Australian records in the Public Records Office in London and in 1952 acquired its first series of newspaper microfilm (The Courier Mail).
In 1956, the microfilming of records held in Sydney relating to the early history of Queensland was commenced and by June 1957, 81 reels of microfilm had been completed. Others continued to provide assistance in building the collections. In 1965, the Queensland Agent-General in London arranged the donation of the private library of Sir Matthew Nathan (Governor of Queensland 1920-25).
In 1964, the Oxley Memorial Library led and supported the publication of an historical journal, Queensland Heritage, which continued successfully for the next fifteen years.
The 1950s and 1960s was however a period of stringency in terms of government support and with resources limited many valuable Queensland collections were donated to or acquired by other libraries and institutions (such as the Archer family papers which was acquired by the Mitchell Library in Sydney). The Leslie family papers were however acquired in 1952 and remain one of the Library’s most important collections.
Your email address will not be published.