125th anniversary of South Brisbane Town Hall - History in Pictures
By JOL Admin | 1 July 2017
On July 1, 1892, the South Brisbane Municipal Chambers (also known as the South Brisbane Town Hall) were officially opened with a special banquet attended by the Queensland Premier, Sir Samuel Griffith. Construction on the municipal chambers started in 1891 and the building was occupied by the South Brisbane Municipal Council until they were disbanded in 1925.
The Brisbane Courier reported on the events of the opening -
"There was a large attendance, most of the guests being received on entering by the mayor and other officials of the council. The building itself looked its best. Outside it was lit up by innumerable Chinese lanterns, and inside all the offices were illuminated, so that they could be inspected by the guests. The unanimously expressed feeling was that the council are in possession of very handsome buildings. The council hall was used as a dining-room, and it presented a brilliant appearance."
In 1904, the tower clock was installed and was reportedly the first electrically-driven clock system in Australia.
The former South Brisbane Municipal Chambers was heritage-listed in 1992. Further information on the history and significance of the building can be found on the Queensland Heritage Register.
Further information -
- 29436 John Hall and Son Architectural Drawing 1890 - architectural drawing done for a competition for the proposed new municipal chambers for South Brisbane. The architects Messrs John Hall And Son of Queen Street, Brisbane won the competition though the design was attributed to John Smith Murdoch who worked for the firm. The drawing shows; plan of ground floor; plan of upper floor; plan of attic room; plan of roof. The scale is: 8ft - 1in.
Your email address will not be published.