125th anniversary - foundation stone laid at Ipswich Girls' Grammar School
March 2016 marks the 125th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of Ipswich Girls' Grammar School.
At midday on March 10, 1891, a large crowd of Ipswich locals had gathered at the site of the new school to watch the ceremony. The foundation stone was laid by member of parliament and acting governor, Sir Arthur Hunter Palmer at the south-eastern corner of the structure.
Other distinguished spectators at the ceremony were MPs William Oswald Hodgkinson and Patrick Sullivan, Ipswich mayor James McGill, former Ipswich mayor Peter Brown and the headmaster of Brisbane Grammar School Reginald Roe.
Local Ipswich newspaper the Queensland Times reported details of the ceremony-
"After the stone had been properly placed in position, his Excellency declared it well and truly laid, and wished the Grammar School abundant success in the future, concluding his remarks by calling for three cheers for the trustees and for the future welfare of the institution."
After inspecting the site Palmer and other guests adjourned to the Building Society's Hall for a banquet. A full account of the speeches given at the banquet were recorded by the Queensland Times.
The school was opened in March 1892 with a construction bill of £7,880. Ipswich Girls' Grammar School was entered into the Queensland Heritage Register in 1992.
SLQ holds a number of historical items related to the history of Ipswich Girls' Grammar, some of which can be viewed on our One Search catalogue.
Myles Sinnamon - Project Coordinator, State Library of Queensland