Applications and nominations are now closed
Queensland Memory Awards’ fellowships and residencies
- John Oxley Library Fellowship $20,000
- Queensland Business Leaders Hall of Fame Fellowship $15,000
- Mittelheuser Scholar in Residence $15,000
- Monica Clare Research Fellowship $15,000
- John Oxley Library Honorary Fellowship (no application required). No honorarium.
- 2021 John Oxley Library Award. Recognition only.
- 2021 John Oxley Library Community History Award $5000 for groups and organisations
- 2021 Queensland Business History Award. Recognition only.
What does a fellowship or residency offer?
- A supportive environment for extended research and inquiry
- A shared back of house workspace in the Neil Roberts Research Lounge on level 4 of State Library of Queensland
- An honorarium paid in scheduled instalments (excl. the John Oxley Library Honorary Fellowship). The honorarium can be expended at the fellow’s discretion
- Free Wi-Fi, printing and photocopying
- Access to staff expertise and support
- Access to State Library’s collections
- Special borrowing privileges
What are fellows or residents required to do?
- Contribute at least three (3) articles to State Library’s John Oxley Library Blog related to his/her/their research.
- Provide two (2) reports about their progress to date.
- Participate in at least one (1) public program related to his/her/their research project such as the Research Reveals events.
- Deposit a copy of any work produced with the John Oxley Library.
- Be available for publicity purposes relating to their fellowship or residency, including media interviews and social media engagement.
- Participate in creating a digital story or filmed presentation about his/her/their fellowship or residency.
- Compile and submit an annotated bibliography of the research undertaken and presented to the State Library for use as a research resource at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- Ensure outcomes of the research undertaken as part of the fellowship or residency acknowledge the State Library of Queensland.
- Provide new insights into State Library’s collection and contribute new knowledge about Queensland’s history.
- Fellows are required to sign a Memorandum of Agreement with State Library, detailing payment schedule and other requirements listed above.
Who can apply?
Researchers and writers of any discipline, historians, curators, visual and performing artists, filmmakers, musicians and digital creatives are all welcome to apply. Queensland Memory fellowships, residencies and awards are open to applications from individuals only. Applications from groups, University or Australian Research Council (ARC) research teams will not be accepted.
Interstate applicants are welcome to apply, however onsite use of the Neil Roberts Research Lounge at State Library of Queensland is expected for a portion of the fellow/scholar’s tenure.
If you are currently in receipt of a funded fellowship or residency from another institution, please indicate this in your application. The fellowship is not intended to support research projects which are a component of postgraduate studies.
If your project has already commenced, you are eligible to apply.
If you are a Queensland State Government employee, please provide evidence of the support of your manager (email/letter) with your completed application. State Library of Queensland employees are ineligible to apply.
If you would like to be considered for the John Oxley Library Honorary Fellowship, please select this option on the entry form. This applies only to applicants for the John Oxley Library Fellowship. The Honorary Fellowship may be offered to the first shortlisted applicant after the winner.
How to apply
- Select the fellowship, residency or award for which you would like to apply or make a nomination.
- Create an account in SmartyGrants using the link to your application or nomination of choice on the Queensland Memory Awards webpage
- Read each page carefully. You can start an application or nomination, save it and go back to it if needed.
- Complete the application or nomination form.
- All mandatory fields must be completed to submit your application or nomination.
- If you are applying for the Monica Clare Research Fellowship, please also attach a copy of Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Descent or Letter of confirmation with your application form.
- Attach any relevant material to your application and submit.
- You will receive an email acknowledgement of receipt of your application.
Important! If you do not receive an email acknowledging receipt, please check your spam/junk folder first and then contact the Research Coordinator immediately at the email address or phone number listed below. For further information please email: email@example.com or phone: 073840 7887 or 073840 7879
All completed applications (including any attachments) must be received by State Library no later than 5pm Thursday 25 March 2021.
What happens to my application?
An independent judging panel approved by the State Librarian and CEO will assess all applications. The judging panel may, at their discretion, interview short-listed applicants.
The successful applicant will be notified before any public announcement.
All applicants will be notified in writing as to the outcome of their application, approximately 8 weeks after the closing date. Successful applicants will be announced at the Queensland Memory Awards ceremony in June 2021.
The decision of the judging panel is final, and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into with regards to the panel’s decision.
Fellows/scholars will be provided with physical space, Wi-Fi and printing access to conduct their own research. Fellows/scholars will be expected to bring in their own laptop computers or digital devices to complete their projects. Fellows/scholars will be given an initial orientation and introduction to State Library. Fellows should liaise with the Research Coordinator to assist with their day-to-day needs.