Our family history pages are a great place to start for family history research.
- Find out the steps involved in tracing your family tree.
- Consult our useful websites for family historians and discover more places to search online.
- Research guides will help to lead you on new and interesting paths.
- Search our free indexes to see if your ancestor appears.
- Become a member to access historical newspaper databases from home.
Family history resources
Learn more about your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander family history with our step-by-step guide. Find out where records about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are kept and how to access them.
Databases are an excellent way to find information on your ancestors, enabling you to gather material from multiple sources. Our family history databases include historical newspapers, and biographical sources.
Family history webcasts cover major family history topics, including birth, death and marriage records, newspapers, immigration and shipping, house histories, World War 1 records, and the roles of the major family history societies and repositories.
Need help researching your family history? Library staff can assist wherever you are across the state.
Discover interesting websites, learn some new research skill and read some fascinating family history tales.