- national and
- international newspapers.
Current and historical newspapers are available, with many collections dating back to the first issue.
Become a State Library member. Read free newspapers from around the world or relax with your favourite magazines using PressReader. Watch our video (opposite) for how to log in and browse PressReader.
Contemporary online newspapers
NewsBank Access World News
- Colour, full-page issues of today's newspapers from around the world, including The Courier Mail
- Over 8,000 titles from 200 countries covering a combination of global, regional and local news.
- Formats include full-text articles, web-only content, PDF image editions.
- Colour, full-page issues of today's newspapers from around the world
- Over 2,000 titles from 70 countries in 37 languages
- Issues can be searched or browsed
Australia & New Zealand Newsstream (ProQuest)
- Issues from the late 1990s to now
- Approximately 400 Australian and New Zealand newspapers
- Includes all Queensland regionals
Age (Melbourne) library edition (2006-) (Fairfax Media)
- An exact replica of The Age printed edition
2006 content is limited to the News, Business and Sport sections
Read more - select the "Click here for direct access" button on the top right hand corner of the page.
Sydney Morning Herald library edition (2006-) (Fairfax Media)
- An exact replica of The Sydney Morning Herald printed edition
- 2006 content is limited to the News, Business and Sport sections
- This product defaults to The Age. To change to the Sydney Morning Herald use the "Select title" dropdown.
Read more - select the "Access the archives" button on the top right hand corner of the page.
Canadian Newsstream (ProQuest)
- Full text of nearly 300 newspapers from Canada's leading publishers, including The Globe Mail
- Some issues date back to the late 1970s
- Updated daily
JTA Jewish News Archive
- A comprehensive record of modern Jewish history through the eyes of journalists
- Over 250,000 articles of stories and issues affecting Jews around the globe from 1917 to today
Historical online newspapers
Historical newspaper databases available through State Library provide access to hundreds of newspapers from around the world. Most are available 24/7 away from State Library using your State Library membership.
Trove Newspapers (1803-1954)
- Full-text access to a selection of out-of-copyright historic Australian newspapers
- More recent years are still within copyright and will be made available when copyright lapses
- Free for anyone to search (you don't need to be a member of State Library)
Sydney Morning Herald archives (1955-1995) (Fairfax Media)
- 820,000 pages in almost 13,000 issues of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald
- 1 January 1955 to 2 February 1995
- All articles, captions and advertisements are fully keyword searchable
- Full-text results are an exact digital reproduction of the printed pages as they were originally published
Index New Zealand
- Indexes nearly 300 journals and newspapers, and some South Pacific journals
- The key New Zealand database for social sciences, arts, humanities and general interest material
- Comprehensive coverage of titles from 1987
- Many New Zealand titles have also been retrospectively indexed
- Updated daily
Papers Past (1839-1945)
- Made available through the National Library of New Zealand
- More than one million pages of digitised newspapers and periodicals from all regions of New Zealand
Times digital archive (1785-2012)
- One of the most highly regarded resources for the study of 18th century history onward
- Complete digital edition of The Times (London) from 1785 to 2012
- Searchable by keyword
- Includes all articles, advertisements, illustrations and photos
- Divided into categories to facilitate searching
British Library newspapers (1800-1900)
- Full text national, regional and local 19th century British newspapers
The British newspaper archive (1708-)
- Available onsite only at State Library
- Fully searchable digital format across more than 200 newspaper titles from every part of the UK and Ireland
- Mainly from the 19th century, with some dating back to the first half of the 18th century
- Users are required to create an account with The British Newspaper Archive to access search results.
Illustrated London News Historical Archive
- The full archive from 1842-2003
- Fully searchable digital format
- More than 100 years of social, political and cultural history
Irish Newspaper Archive
- Around 40 historical and current newspapers from Ireland dating back to the 18th century
State Library microfilms Queensland newspapers to protect the print editions, yet still provide access to the information in them. Our collection includes the Courier Mail, and its predecessors, from the first issue of the Moreton Bay Courier in 1846. We also have many Australian, and some international, newspapers on microfilm. They are available for use on level 3 of the library.
Locate microfilm newspapers using our One Search catalogue. There are also two printed lists at the desk on level 3: Newspapers by place and Newspapers by title.
Paper edition newspapers
Current editions of many Queensland, interstate, national and international newspapers are held in the Tim Fairfax Newspaper Reading Room on level 3 of the library. You can request past issues of some newspapers as well.
Newspapers are an important resource for researching, preserving and sharing our stories. State Library has:
- approximately three linear kilometres of original newspapers
- over 300 Queensland titles on microfilm, with some titles also on microfiche.
The image (left) shows a Queensland newspaper undergoing conservation treatment.