The Victoria Bridge
The Victoria Bridge, the Brisbane River’s first road crossing, has had a long and interesting history.
The first temporary wooden bridge was opened on 24th June 1865 with the dual purpose of providing a vehicle crossing as well as scaffolding for the erection of a permanent structure. The wooden structure, weakened by the action of Teredo worms, collapsed in 1867. The first permanent bridge was opened in 1874 and would later be washed away in the 1893 floods..