Second section of Jubilee Township, Bardon, 1887 (Map of the Week)
State Library of Queensland has an extensive collection of historical maps of Queensland, some of which have been digitised and can be viewed online.
This real estate map from October 1887 advertises over 550 allotments of land for sale at the second section of the Jubilee Township, located in the Brisbane suburb of Bardon. The first section of Jubilee Township (488 allotments) was auctioned earlier that year.
The allotments were situated along Coronation Street, Alexandra Street, Beatrice Street, Princess Street (now Leslie Street), Ithaca Parade (now Fletcher Parade), Crown Street, Queen Street (now Lewin Street), Victoria Street (Carmel Street), Accession Street, Empress Terrace and an unnamed road (now Jubilee Terrace).
Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers.
"The scenery is all that can be desired. On the one side lies the city, Petrie Terrace, South Brisbane, while on the other side lies magnificent forest scenery, extending for miles over beautiful country, as far as the eye can behold, backed by mountain ranges which form in themselves a perfect panorama of enormous magnitude, and well worth seeing. The Jubilee Township is only distant from the General Post Office about twenty minutes' drive, and a well-made road the whole distance, and extending far beyond the Jubilee Township to Ashgrove, where omnibuses run throughout the day..." (Brisbane Courier, October 20, 1889).
A higher resolution image of this map can be viewed through our One Search catalogue.
Prints of this map are also available through the Library Shop.
You can browse a compendium of our previous maps of the week on our blog.