Queensland Places - Marburg - Marburg Hotel
By JOL Admin | 14 October 2016
The Marburg Hotel has been an important part of the Marburg community for more than 130 years. The hotel was initially constructed in 1881 as a single-story building by Marburg farmer Weigand Raabe who, in addition to offering the usual range of hotel services, also conducted race meetings and various sports on land adjacent to the hotel. The Marburg hotel was one of the first substantial buildings built in the town and was certainly the first hotel. It is believed that the additions to the building, turning it into a two-story structure were undertaken in the early 1890s.
The hotel has gone through a number of hands and owners over the years but has operated continuously as a hotel since 1881. It was a highway landmark and popular stopping place for travellers until 1969, prior to which the Brisbane – Toowoomba highway had passed through the town.
The first licensee, Wiegand Raabe died in 1883 and his widow Auguste Raabe married Marburg storekeeper and carpenter Otto Sakzewski and the family held the license until at least 1921.
This photograph, dated to 1891, shows the hotel in its original form. We can speculate that those posed on the hotel’s verandah are Otto and Auguste and members of their family.
The Marburg Hotel has a strong association with the Marburg community and is an important part of the town’s historic precinct, being close to the former Queensland National Bank building and the Marburg First World War memorial.
Brian Randall - Senior Librarian, State Library of Queensland
Your email address will not be published.