Queensland Events 1913
Guest blogger: Niles Elvery - Manager, Public Access, Queensland State Archives
The Royal Historical Society of Queensland (RHSQ) is celebrating the centenary of its founding in 1913. Dedicated to preserving and promoting Queensland history, the RHSQ is housed in the Commissariat Store, on the banks of the Brisbane River. Coincidentally, 1913 is the year that the third floor was added to this convict-built building.
There are some interesting 1913 events described in the records in Queensland State Archives’ collection.
Railway accident at Murphy's Creek, 1913
On the morning of January 28, 1913 a livestock train departed from Toowoomba and derailed near the Murphy's Creek railway station, about one mile from the station yard limits. Tragically, the next day a relief train from Toowoomba ran into the men working on the breakdown, with the result that six men were killed and several were seriously injured.
Queensland State Archives holds the depositions and findings from the inquest into the railway accident at Murphy's Creek (Queensland State Archives Item ID 18933, number 164 of 1913).
Joskeleigh State School opened in 1913
On Tuesday 28 October 1913, a provisional school was opened for the small South Sea Islander community in Joskeleigh, approximately 25 miles (40 kms) east from Rockhampton near the estuary of the Fitzroy River. It was opened in the local church hall pending the erection of a new building with Mr Frederick William Vespermann appointed as the first Head Teacher. Approximately 21 pupils, mostly Islander children, were enrolled at the time.
Other 1913 events
- establishment of the Newtown and the Town Council from 1913 to 1917 (Queensland State Archives Item ID 332233)
- resumption of parish land for the Mount Mulligan railway (Queensland State Archives Item ID 1410001) and for the line of railway from Malanda to Millaa Millaa (Queensland State Archives Item ID 141000)
- arrangements for 1913 election of representatives of Queensland in the Commonwealth Senate (Queensland State Archives Item ID 290596)
- Certificate of Registration issued to Brisbane Theatres Limited, 2 September 1913 (Queensland State Archives Item ID 284008)
- agreement for purchase of New Farm Park Lands by the Brisbane City Council (Queensland State Archives Item ID 665712)