Lamington National Park - History in Pictures
Lamington National Park was established on 31 July in 1915. Lying on the Lamington Plateau of the McPherson Range, the park covers roughly 51,000 acres of rugged mountains and spectacular waterfalls, and is home to an abundance of flora and fauna.
To celebrate the 100th anniversary of National Park status for this area, we've compiled a gallery of images. Some of the photographs featured below were taken by Romeo Watkins Lahey (1887-1968) an engineer, timber merchant and national parks advocate. Lahey's lantern slides and glass plate negatives (now part of State Library's collection) were used in his campaign for the preservation of the area. In pursuit of this goal, Romeo Lahey went around the district, lecturing and obtaining signatures which successfully influenced the Queensland Government to act for the park's creation. Also included in this gallery are images from a c.1925 tourism booklet called The national park of Queensland : comprising Lamington and Roberts Plateaux (South Queensland). This booklet has been digitised and can be view in its entirety on our One Search catalogue.