Kurilpa Bridge

The new Kurilpa Bridge, linking Kurilpa Point in South Brisbane to Tank Street in the Brisbane CBD, was officially opened on Sunday 4th October 2009 by the Queensland Premier Anna Bligh. The name of the bridge comes from an Indigenous name for "place of water rats" which represents the West End district..

 

The $63.3 million Kurilpa Bridge, designed and constructed by Baulderstone Pty Ltd., is the world's largest tensegrity pedestrian and cycle bridge which balances tension and compression components to produce a light but incredibly strong structure.

The cables and flying struts are designed to resemble the ropes and spars of sailing ships and boats. There are two large viewing and relaxation platforms, two rest areas, and a continuous all-weather canopy along the entire length of the bridge.

The bridge completes a pedestrian and cycle loop between the city and South Bank via the Goodwill Bridge and serves as a link between the cultural precinct and the Brisbane CBD.

State Library has a large collection of photographs of bridges, including bridge openings.

Official opening of the Indooroopilly Toll Bridge, 1932. Image No: 181335

Crowds of people gathered for the opening of the William Jolly Bridge, 1932. Image No: 34276

The Kurilpa Bridge is the most recent of the Brisbane bridges. Why not check out our photographs of other Brisbane bridges on slideshare or The Commons on Flickr.     

Comments

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
We also welcome direct feedback via Contact Us.
You may also want to ask our librarians.

Be the first to write a comment