Kedron Park, Lutwyche [Kalinga and Wooloowin], 1888 (Map of the Week)
State Library of Queensland has an extensive collection of historical maps of Queensland, some of which have been digitised and can be viewed online.
This real estate map from 1888 advertises 220 allotments of land for sale at the Kedron Park Estate, which today is part of the Brisbane suburbs of Kalinga and Wooloowin. The allotments were situated on Park Road, Brook Road, Judge Road (now Judge Street), Kedron Road (now part of Gorman Street), an unnamed road (now Kent Road), Station Road (now Rose Street) and Terrace Road (now Terrace Street).
Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers.
"The first section of that splendid suburban property, Kedron Park, well and favourably known as the property of the late Judge Lutwyche, comprising 220 grand allotments...This property is situated in the heart of Lutwyche, between the Kedron Park Hotel and the residence of W.H. Kent, Esq., fronting and overlooking the Kedron Park Racecourse, which the present owners propose converting into one of the most attractive grounds for racing and sports in the colony." (Queensland Figaro and Punch, September 1, 1888)
A public auction was held at the site on the afternoon of September 8, 1888. The Brisbane Courier newspaper reported the results of the sale.
"Messrs Arthur Martin and Co., in conjunction with G.T. Bell, report a sale of the Kedron Park Estate on behalf of the Freehold Bank and Building Company, on the ground this afternoon. 129 allotments were disposed of at an average of about £40 12s. each, or a sum total of £5238 10s." (Brisbane Courier, September 10, 1888)
A higher resolution image of this map can be viewed and downloaded through our One Search catalogue.
Prints of this map are also available through the Library Shop.
You can browse a compendium of our previous maps of the week on our blog.
Myles Sinnamon – Project Coordinator, State Library of Queensland