Groveley Lodge Estate, [Mitchelton], 1918 (Map of the Week)

State Library of Queensland has an extensive collection of historical maps of Queensland, some of which have been digitised and can be viewed online.

Groveley Lodge Estate, , 1918. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Groveley Lodge Estate, , 1918. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

This real estate map from 1918 advertises over 350 allotments of land for sale at the Groveley Lodge Estate, today part of the Brisbane suburb of Mitchelton. The allotments were situated along Groveley Terrace (now spelled as Grovely Terrace), Blaker Road, Church Road, Edward Street (now Faucett Street), Jane Street (now Kennion Street), Alfred Street (now Ellworthy Street), and an unnamed lane (now Vorneen Lane). Part of Blaker Road as shown on this map would later become Glenholm Street.

The locale name Groveley was inconsistently spelled during the sale, sometimes listed as Grovely on a few advertisements. Originally named after a farm, Groveley Lodge, the Railways Department used the spelling Grovely in 1914, for the local station.

Prior to the sale extensive publicity was published in Brisbane newspapers.

Advertisement, The Telegraph, May 4, 1918

Advertisement, The Telegraph, May 4, 1918

"A few yards from Mitchelton Railway Station. Magnificent elevation, good views, adjoining Groveley Church, and the residence of Mr Keylar, and close to the new residence of Mr D.H. Rhoades. The finest estate on the new railway extension. State school on the estate." (The Telegraph, May 4, 1918)

A public auction was held at the site on the afternoon of May 11, 1918.

A higher resolution image of this map can be viewed through our One Search catalogue.

Prints of this map are also available through the Library Shop.

You can browse a compendium of our previous maps of the week on our blog.

Myles Sinnamon - Project Coordinator, State Library of Queensland


We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
We also welcome direct feedback via Contact Us.
You may also want to ask our librarians.

Hi Myles, Another question. Does SLQ have anything specifically on Brookside shopping Centre site .It was on William Nicholson's Portion 35 fronting Osborne Road Mitchelton, More or less below The Good Shepherd Convent (now Mt Maria School) It was built in 1971. Wi
th thanks