F.W.Nissen Pty Ltd Records and Photographs
By JOL Admin | 21 December 2011
F.W.Nissen business records, a photograph album of the interior of the family owned firm and catalogues are just part of a recent donation to Queensland Memory.
Frederick William Nissen started as a manufacturing jeweller in 1892 and established a workshop upstairs at 216 Queen St., Brisbane, with a retail outlet downstairs. Some years later, F.W.Nissen moved to 204 Queen Street and stayed there until the early 1920's, when he purchased the building at 216 Queen Street. The business was then run from this premises by several more family members including L W R Nissen, Colin Nissen, Vida Irene Nissen and Wilhimina Ivy Nissen.
During the period 1910 to 1955, a substantial country business was developed throught extensive agreements with country town general stores and pharmacies. Up to 40,000 catalogues were printed and distributed. We hold a wonderful selection of these colourful catalogues.
The firm ceased trading in 1984.
The collection we hold includes a photograph album with interior views of the retail business, some family photographs, correspondence, business records, colourful catalogues, stock cards, a memorandum of asssociation and gemmology certificates.
Your email address will not be published.