Edward WALKER #3754B

Indigenous Australian, Edward WALKER, 25th Infantry Battalion

Initially assigned to the 10th Reinforcements for the 49th Infantry Battalion, Walker trained in Queensland at Rifle Range Camp, Enoggera, before embarking from Sydney in August 1917, bound for England.

On board HMAT Medic, Walker was in the company of several other identified Indigenous servicemen: Albert Burke #3620, William Perrott #3704, Charlie Morgan #3679, Gale Simpson #3732, George Foster #3641 and George Hill #3655.

Their ship stopped at the port of Halifax, Nova Scotia where they trans-shipped to SS Orissa finally arriving in England early October 1917. The reinforcements undertook further training at Codford Camp in Wiltshire before they proceeded to France.

Walker was remustered to the 25th Infantry Battalion and joined the unit in the field in January 1918 at Neuve Eglise, where they had been relieved of their duties in the front lines. Here Walker would have been pleased to find his brother Thomas serving in the same battalion, although assigned to a different Company.

Edward Walker was seriously wounded in action in July 1918 and evacuated to England for treatment to the Southern General Hospital in Plymouth.

Six weeks later Walker wrote from Littlemore Camp, Weymouth, enquiring about his brother Thomas. Sadly his brother had been killed in action 11 August 1918.

Edward Walker was involved in a court case in 1919 when a publican in Casino was charged and fined for supplying liquor to an Aboriginal.

In his defense the publican stated "Walker, who had purchased the liquor, had gone away to fight for them and was entitled to all they could give him ... he thought it should be possible for this man to have a glass of beer if he wanted it."

Edward Walker joined his family on the Aboriginal reserve at Ulgundahi Island located on the Clarence River, in 1919. This reserve for displaced Aboriginals, had been set aside by the Aborigines Protection Board in 1904 as more and more of their traditional lands disappeared to European settlements. Edward later married and worked in the area until his death in 1976, age 82.

Read more ...

Marg Powell & Des Crump


We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
We also welcome direct feedback via Contact Us.
You may also want to ask our librarians.

Be the first to write a comment