Digitised@SLQ: Appreciation certificates for building an Anzac cottage
Recently digitised at State Library are two certificates, awarded to Herbert C. and Mrs H. C. (Wilhelmina) Von Dohren respectively, for rendering "valuable service in erecting a cottage for the homeless widow and orphans of one of Queensland's fallen soldiers."
The certificates are signed by J. Harry Coyne, chairman of the Anzac Committee of Queensland War Council, with art work by J. Case (Queensland cartoonist James Thomas Case), and signed 1917.
The Queensland War Council operated between 1915 and 1932 and was responsible for the collection and administration of funds, and programs for the resettlement and employment of returned soldiers. The Anzac Committee was established to acquire land on which to erect homes for homeless widows, or other female dependants, and children of fallen soldiers and sailors.
According to the Queensland War Council Wikipedia entry, the initial Anzac Cottage Trust met weekly at the Commercial Travellers Sample Rooms in Charlotte Street, Brisbane, and was also responsible for nominating those who would occupy the cottage. Rent was minimal at 1/6 a week, however the widow had to be of "good character", remain single, and 'not be seen drinking publicly nor have male callers'! If a widow or descendant married they were required to vacate their cottage immediately. On 23 June 1923, the funds of the Anzac Committee were voted to be used to provide homes for returned soldiers suffering from tuberculosis.