Dayboro settlement celebrates 150 years

Guest contributor: Carmel Bond, Dayboro District Historical Society 

2017 marked 150 years since the small Queensland township of Dayboro was established. Situated in the Moreton Bay Regional Council local government area, Dayboro is a short drive north-west of Brisbane and a popular destination because of its close proximity to the hinterland and the D’Aguilar Ranges nearby.

Originally named Hamilton, then Terrors Creek because of its proximity to the creek of the same name, the area was renamed ‘Dayboro’ in 1917 - 50 years after settlement, in honour of William Henry Day, Clerk of Petty Sessions and later Police Magistrate in Brisbane, who leased Portion 1, Parish of Samsonvale in 1867. This portion of land represented a large area making up the majority of the township as it is today. Read more about William Day and the selection of Terrors Paddock on the Dayboro District Historical Society website.

Looking west across Terrors Creek bridge, 1901, Image pin2207 Strathpine Library, Moreton Bay Regional Council.

The small creamery building built in 1896/97 can be seen alongside the road and close to the western bank of Terrors Creek.  Milk was brought in by the local dairy farmers where the cream was separated and carted to Samsonvale which was then processed into butter at the Samsonvale Butter Factory.  The original building exists today although it is doubled in size and a local café in 2017.

Pioneers of the Upper North Pine, 14 Sept 1903. Image pin2249, Strathpine Library, Moreton Bay Region Libraries

This image was published in the Moreton Mail on 25 September 1903, on the occasion of the official opening of the Silverwood Butter Factory, Terrors Creek (Dayboro), photographer J. Patching.
Back row: R. C. Clay, Aaron Adsett, J. H. Baker, James Pritchard, John Adams, F. Raddatz, Joseph Fisher, W. Nugent, Frank Sellin, Henry Easlea, August Kuhn, Thomas Strain and Carl Ihm.
Middle row: Mrs. R. Brockhurst, Moses Stubbins, Frank Williams, R. Brockhurst (obscured), Mrs. F. Williams, Mrs. C. Hay, C. Hay, Mrs. W. Gordon, W. G. Skerman, S. Heathwood, Mrs. W. G. Skerman, Andrew Gordon, Mrs. A. Gordon, R. Raymont, Miss Raymont, Ludwig Lindenberg, Mrs. J. Lacey, J. Anderson, H. Raaen and E. Page.
Seated front row: W. Gordon, J. Lacey and C. T. Williams.

Dated c. 1909 the Silverwood Butter Factory was constructed in Terrors Creek in 1903. It is the large building, left foreground with two chimneys on the roof.

On May 28 2017, the residents of Dayboro and surrounding district invited visitors, families and friends to join in the annual Dayboro Day Festival and Antiques & Collectibles Fair and to celebrate 150 years of settlement of Dayboro township. Judging by the vast number of people photographed Dayboro was a popular destination as people took to the sunny streets of the little township to be part of the celebrations and activities. Every business, community group, school and organisation with links to Dayboro took part in the events planned on the day.

People line the main street of Dayboro to be part of the 26th Dayboro Day Festival and 150 year celebration event. Photography by Powershots, 28 May 2017.

The hard working members of the Dayboro Day Festival sub-committee and Dayboro & District Progress Association Inc were thrilled with the event and the numbers who came along to celebrate Dayboro’s heritage, past and present. It was a magnificent celebration.

Members of Dayboro District Historical Society display the group’s banner and links to the history of Dayboro’s past and contemporary history. Photography by Powershots, 28 May 2017.

Visitors dress in period costume and enjoy a day out in Dayboro. Photography by Powershots, 28 May 2017.

Local blacksmith, David Bradley demonstrates the blacksmithy skill he still practices at Dragonfly Forge. Photography by Powershots, 28 May 2017.

More resources:

Dayboro District Historical Society incorporating the Dayboro Information Centre

Dayboro celebrates 150 years 1867 – 2017 - Dayboro Historical Society Photo of the Week collection

Dayboro Historical Gallery – an image gallery recording contemporary and past history of Dayboro the settlement.

Glimpses of country life Sydney Mail (NSW : 1912 - 1938) 2 Sep 1936 - Sources on National Library of Australia's Trove digitised newspaper collections

Contact Dayboro District Historical Society and Moreton Bay Regional Council Libraries and Local Studies Unit.

Anne Scheu - Queensland Memory, State Library of Queensland

Comments

We welcome relevant, respectful comments.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
We also welcome direct feedback via Contact Us.
You may also want to ask our librarians.

Be the first to write a comment