Christmas, a time for family history
Christmas is often a time for family, and it can be a good time to explore your family tree.
The State Library of Queensland recommends the following when tracing your family history.
1. Use a pedigree chart to record the search of your direct line
2. Trace backwards and record from yourself starting with your full birth certificate
3. Record the information from your parents' marriage certificates
4. Record the information from your parents' birth certificates
5. Continue with this procedure until you find the first arrival in Australia
6. Exhaust all Australian sources before attempting overseas research
7. Maintain records of your search and sources
8. Prepare family group sheets/descendant charts to record relationships other than the direct line.
9. Find out more about the lives of your family
If you want to learn more about your family history check out these resources by the State Library of Queensland.
Family history webcasts: /audio-video/webcasts/family-history
Family history guides: /resources/family-history
Family History eresources and indexes available at SLQ: /resources/family-history/eresources
Trace your family guide: /resources/family-history/tree
One Search catalogue: http://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au
Ask Us: /services/ask-us
Librarian, Information Services