Buderim’s first golf course
By JOL Admin | 26 February 2015
Guest Blogger: Buderim Historical Society - Sunshine Coast Region
Series: Changing Landscapes
Today when the words ‘Buderim’ and ‘golf’ are mentioned everyone thinks of the beautiful Headland Golf Club, but between the wars there was an earlier golf club on Buderim. It was situated on a five year lease on land owned by H. V. Fielding and H. J. Murphy and was bounded by what we now know as Ferguson and Golf Streets, and straddling part of Gloucester Road. Mr G.H. Ott was elected President of the club and Mr H. Reed was secretary.
Thanks to the work of a large number of volunteers it was officially opened on September 26, 1931. Initially the greens were sand, then replaced by grass and fenced to keep the cows out. Photographs from the early 1930s show a small weatherboard clubhouse with the members arranged in front. There are 19 men and nine women shown in the photograph. The new clubhouse was an old school building erected 40 years previously by Joseph Dixon on Mill Road for the benefit of his Islander workers, and moved to the course.
In 1935 regular competitions were being held on Buderim and Mr G. H. Ott continued as President. Players included W. F. Bell, A. Crack, C. Griffiths, T. H. Irwin, H. K. Shaw, V. Crosby, G. Ruthenburg, J. McIntyre, H. Murphy, W. P. Mitchell, J. Mitchell and R. L. Bell. Among the associates were Miss K. Crosby, Mrs Murphy, Mrs H. L. Ferguson, Mrs R. L. Miller, Miss L. Miller and Miss M. Dawson.
However things were not going as smoothly as desired. At a general meeting of the Buderim Golf Club in September 1935, the President Mr A. Crack stated that the cost of an extension of the present lease was prohibitive. It was decided to lease Dr. Shaw’s property ‘Marimba’ and build a course there. In August 1936 play commenced on the new course at the Junction of Orme Road and Jones Road. Parts of it were very steep.
The course fell into disrepair during World War II and was not used after the war.
The small clubhouse was again moved to a location on the new course.
Contributor: 'From Stories of Old Buderim' by Bill Lavarack
Source: Buderim Historical Society No 170
For more images and content on Buderim, visit Picture Sunshine Coast.
Your email address will not be published.