Barcaldine War Memorial Clock Tower
The Barcaldine War Memorial is situated at the intersection of Ash and Beech streets, Barcaldine and is a significant landmark in the town. Constructed in the form of an ornate clock tower, nearly three metres in height, it is made of marble resting on a stepped granite base and is believed to be the only memorial of its size and kind in Queensland.
Recessed plates of a finer marble are attached, recording the names of those 292 members of the Barcaldine community who served in the First World War, including 38 who gave their lives. The lower section of the clock tower is ornamental with simulated masonry blocks. At the top of the memorial is a four faced clock which is illuminated at night, making it all the more visible and imposing as a monument. Surrounding the clock faces are carved laurel leaves and other foliage is carved in the lower corners of each face. The clock tower also has a dome-shaped cap with a band of cable ornament. The memorial was unveiled on 21 May 1924 by the then Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan and there is a leaded unveiling inscription on the lower step of the clock tower which reads, “Erected by the residents of Barcaldine and district unveiled by His Excellency Sir Matthew Nathan, Governor of Queensland”.
The memorial was designed and constructed by A.L. Petrie, monumental masons of Toowong, Brisbane at a cost of more than five hundred pounds, believed to have been largely raised by the local community. Although it is believed that there are no similar clock tower type memorials in Queensland, the memorial’s design is described in A.L. Petrie’s records as “Clock Tower Number Two Design”. The monument was originally surrounded by four granite posts, however these posts were removed at some stage as was the nearby original street light. The memorial also suffered storm damage in the early 1990s, requiring the replacement of the clocks.