Aramac War Memorial
The town of Aramac is located around seventy kilometres to the north of Barcaldine. As with other towns and settlements, the Aramac district was dramatically affected by the First World War and at the war’s conclusion, a memorial to those who served was suggested as a means of honouring those who served.
Aramac’s war memorial, constructed in 1924 and located at the intersection of Lodge and Gordon Streets, was to become a significant landmark in the area. The memorial is made of Ulam marble, has a life-size statue of an Australian infantry soldier, standing at ease on top of a tall obelisk and in all is nearly five metres in height. The obelisk displays a leaded AIF badge with the dates of the war shown on the front base, which is made of grey granite. The memorial is surrounded by sandstone kerbing and posts, then by granite corner posts which are linked by double metal rails.
The inscription reads “in honour of those who left the shire of Aramac to participate in the Great War”, with the pedestal beneath recording the names of the 132 residents of the district who served in World War One. The names of those killed or injured are also prominently displayed. Although construction of the memorial was completed in 1924, discussions regarding a suitable memorial were underway as early as 1919. In due course, the War Memorial Committee raised sufficient funds and engaged monumental mason, Mr F.M. Allen of Rockhampton, to erect a war memorial. The total cost was to be around £900, somewhat higher than the original estimate.
The Aramac War Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 12 April 1924 in front of a large crowd including many local school children. The formal address was given by the Chairman of the Aramac shire, Mr E.W. Bowyer, during which he outlined the desire of the local community that the memorial be a permanent reminder of the patriotism and loyalty of those who enlisted and served, including those who gave their lives during the war. The memorial remains a significant and well known landmark in the district as well as being an important focus for ANZAC Day services. As well, the Aramac War Memorial is one of only two intact soldier statue memorials standing in their original street intersections and it continues to dominate the town streetscape.
The above photograph shows the Aramac war memorial on the day of its unveiling.
Brian Randall, Queensland Places Coordinator, State Library of Queensland.