100th anniversary - C&K Paddington Community Kindergarten
This month marks the 100th anniversary of C&K Paddington Community Kindergarten located on Charlotte Street. The Paddington branch was officially opened on September 23, 1916 by Lady Goold-Adams, wife of the Governor of Queensland, Sir Hamilton John Goold-Adams and patroness of the Creche and Kindergarten Association. A creche operated on the site between 1917 and 1947.
The centre has had an eventful history. During the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1919, the kindergarten and creche were open 24 hours a day for 3 months to care for the children of those who contracted the virus.
Below is a selection of images of the Paddington Kindergarten and Creche from our collections.
Staff at the Paddington Kindergarten, Brisbane, 1951. Back row, left to right: Frankie Appleby; Andrea Day; Ruth Andersen; Diana Willey, Joan Davidson. Seated left to right: Mrs Jeffs (cook); Alexa Riley (assistant); Daphne Sherivan (director); Shirley Ross (assistant); A. Parker (nursing sister); unidentified staff. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Neg 74351
Further reading -
- A history of Paddington Kindergarten / Paddington Kindergarten