More Queensland projects to commemorate the First World War
By JOL Admin | 18 February 2016
Round 3 of the Queensland Anzac Centenary Community Grants were announced in November 2015. As with the previous two rounds (2014 – 2015), the third round recipients includes organisations, societies, museums, Qld RSL branches and clubs, schools and a wide spread of Local government regions across Queensland. Each project will contribute to, increase awareness and support the commemoration of the First World War at the local level.
Anzac Centenary Queensland states that the Queensland Anzac Centenary Community Grants Program has supported 180 projects to date: the grants are available for historical research and educational projects, the preservation and conservation of First World War history, the acquisition of First World War memorabilia, the restoration or enhancement of memorials and honour boards and public Anzac Centenary events.
Associations and Clubs
• Booroodabin Community & Recreation Club Inc. – WWI honour board research and permanent exhibition display;
• The Brisbane Club – publication detailing the 22 members focussing on educational, social and economic circumstances;
• Burnett Heads Progress & Sports Assoc. - refurbishment of Memorial, installation of a plaque, re-dedication service on the centenary of the Battle of Pozieres;
• Friends of Balmoral Cemetery – booklet of WWI returned servicemen buried in cemetery (300) and addition of 50 markers on individual graves;
• Irvinebank School of Arts & Progress Assoc. – restoration of German trench mortar, travelling display and documentation;
• Kumbia and District Memorial School of Arts Inc. – restoration of Kumbia memorial and installation;
• Mt Mee Neighbourhood Watch Rural Woodford – identifying unlisted Mt Mee soldiers and their stories;
• Queensland Card Collectors Society Inc. – former troops WWI postcard and cigarette cards collection booklet;
• St Clement Catholic Assoc. of Qld & Melkite and Chaldean Christian Community of Qld – connecting to ANZACS, South Brisbane display and week of events;
• Westbrook Hall Committee Inc. – Refurbishment of “Digger” 1922 memorial.
The Friends of Balmoral Cemetery are identifying various grave sites of families who contributed to the war effort. "James Keys was buried 26 January 1916 and never knew the regard for his daughter Mabel Constance Keys who enlisted in WWI as a nurse that same year." Source: Friends of Balmoral Cemetery facebook.
• Tambo Arts Council Inc – Camera on Gallipoli exhibition of framed prints featuring photographs by Charles Ryan at Grassland Art Gallery;
• Mark Cryle – ‘Sacrifice: what did it actually mean in 1914 – 1918’ – research paper and digital archive;
• Barcoo Shire Historical Society Inc. – biographical register/publication;
• Friends of St Denys and Historical Soldier’s Settlement – Armistice Way tour and brochure guide referencing key points of Pikedale Soldier Settlement;
• Inglewood & District Historical Society Inc. – research publication featuring stories and military records of 22 soldiers from the district;
• Mackay Historical Society and Museum Inc. – biographical register of ‘Mackay’s Own’ 340 soldiers and publication;
• Oakey Historical Museum Society Inc. – exhibition, tribute concert and performances honouring 331 servicemen and women from Oakey and Jondaryan districts;
• Whitsunday Family History Group Inc. – research, interviews with nine Proserpine families connected to WWII publication;
• Barcaldine Regional Council – At home and abroad – exhibition and display;
• Cairns Regional Council – Anzac trail brochure linking significant memorial sites across the region;
• Charters Towers Regional Council – refurbishment of Cenotaph and new stonework feature at base;
• City of Gold Coast – exhibition of home front, published educational resources online;
• Diamantina Shire Council – Diamantina remembers digitised content published and permanently displayed on 58 soldiers and horses from local stations;
• Ipswich City Council – Rosewood honour board refurbishment and minor conservation;
• Maranoa Regional Council – Through the cracks – Yuleba cenotaph refurbishment and pathway;
• North Burnett Regional Council – digital stories on five Monto diggers narrated by descendants, historians and community members;
• Richmond Shire Council – biographical research of local diggers published for community;
• Rockhampton Regional Council – Rockhampton War Memorial refurbishment;
• Toowoomba Regional Council – War Memorial restoration in four locations.
• Boondooma Museum & Heritage Assoc. Inc. – transportable display of photos and soldier details linked to Boondooma Station and themed poetry competition entries published;
• Canegrowers Innisfail – Cane Beetles re-enactment of 60km recruitment march from Mooliba to Cairns;
• Mudgeeraba Light Horse Museum Inc. – Harold & Billy’s legacy – permanent exhibit ‘Gallipoli to Damascus’ and ‘Dear Mother’ postcard exhibition;
• Qantas Founders Museum – interactive display, curriculum based workshops for visiting school groups;
Returned Services Leagues (RSL’s) Queensland Branches
• Boonah Sub Branch Inc. – Display case of 300 sets of medals linked to the Yeates Avenue memorial and documentation provided to descendents;
• Cairns Sub Branch Inc. – Cenotaph presentation cabinets featuring four veterans, their stories during and after military service;
• Coorparoo & Districts Inc. – Construction of four display cabinets to preserve First World War artefacts;
• Jandowae Sub Branch Inc. – Fitting out local Light Horse unit – uniform and horse blankets featured in commemorative events;
• Mt Molloy Sub Branch Inc. – New Cenotaph, service emblems and plaques researched by local school;
• St George Sub Branch Inc. - ‘ANZACs of the Balonne Shire’ information and reference booklet;
• Bray Park State School P&C – expansion of schools Memorial garden to include Tri-service and Indigenous representation and seating alongside existing Aleppo pines germinated from the original ‘Lone Pine’ Gallipoli;
• Cambooya State School P & C Assoc. – ‘Lest we forget’ commemorative wall of six servicemen involving student research and artwork;
• School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry – UQ – Dramatic production performance on Conscription? the debates of 1916 – 1917 and educational resource;
• Adopt a Digger Inc – Interactive activities, exhibition, community days and book launch;
• Corporation of the Synod of the Diocese of Brisbane – conservation and digitisation of collections relating to military chaplains, online exhibition and public lecture;
• Royal Australian Regiment Corporation – 9th battalion history in 36 page booklet;
• Voices of Birralee – Choral festivals conducted in four SE Qld locations showcasing primary schools, emotive storytelling and music.
Anne Scheu, Project Coordinator, State Library of Queensland
Your email address will not be published.