Library Lovers Day – for lovers of libraries!
February 14 is Library Lovers Day and this year’s theme is Love Letters to Libraries.
Library Lovers Day ideas
If you haven’t thought of an idea to celebrate this special day, there are plenty on the ALIA webpage including:
• Encourage your library patrons to write their own love letter to the library.
• Hand out bookmarks or little chocolate hearts to library visitors.
• Tempt users to have a 'blind date' with a book and venture outside their comfort zone!
• Hang a message in the library like “We'll help you find the book of your dreams”.
• Leave love notes — Canberra Girls' Grammar school celebrated Library Lovers' Day by leaving red hearts in their favourite books for the next reader to find what said what they liked about it and why.
What’s on around the state?
Many libraries already have already planned their day - here are some examples:
- Gladstone Library has Families Love Reading …and Free Pizza!
- Sunshine Coast is holding Heart Book Art and Morning Tea
- Brisbane City Council Library Service includes Lovers in Literature and Romantic Poetry Reading.
- Cairns Libraries has Love Songs In The Library with After 5s sultry jazz and blues band.
- Gympie Library has Make Your Own Heart Shaped Box.
- Hinchinbrook Shire Library has Write a Love Letter to Your Library and Win a Prize.
- Logan Libraries is holding kids craft including Make a Valentine’s Day Card.
The ALIA webpage has plenty of resources too including flyers, stickers, bookmarks, Facebook cover, email signature and website banner. It also includes posters made from letters from Australian authors including Caroline Overington, Jackie French and Shane Maloney, as a salute to their experiences with Australian libraries.
Library Lovers' Day will be launched at the Parliamentary Friends of Australian Books and Writers event at Parliament House on 13 February.