All entrances and areas in the State Library building at South Bank are wheel-chair accessible. Additional facilities include:
- Signage and wayfinding across South Bank
- Parking spaces designated for people with disability
- Lifts operating from the car park to all levels of the building with spoken voice advising levels within the library and handrails
- Toilet facilities on each level with signage that includes raised tactile and braille signage
- Parents room with facilities for people with disability in Infozone
- Wheel-chair height reception and information desks
- Raised tactile and braille signage at entrance of library and on all exterior and interior lifts, Auditorium 1 and 2 and The Edge
- High desks for wheel-chair access desks are located on levels 1-3 and The Edge
- Hearing augmentation in Auditorium 1
- Hearing aid induction loop with personal assisted listening devices available in SLQ Auditoriums 1 and 2 and The Edge; devices are worn as an in-ear monitor or as a personal induction loop for those patrons utilising hearing aids
- Hearing loop signage in the form of the International Symbol for deafness in SLQ Auditoriums 1 and 2 and The Edge Auditorium
- Portable wheelchair ramps in Auditorium 1 and The Queensland Terrace
- Lift for people with a disability in Auditorium 2
- Water bubblers for people with disability located on levels 1-4 and The Edge
- Certified guide, hearing and assistance dogs, wearing their identity card on their coat or harness are welcomed in State Library
- Emergency warning beacon lights throughout the building for people with disability
State Library offers a range of adaptive technology devices to enable people with disability to use the collections and resources. Please note no bookings are needed to use these resources. They include:
- Clearview Speech desktop electronic magnifier
- Compact 7HD portable hand-held electronic magnifier
- MaggyLamp - table-top magnifier with built-in light, available on level 3 and level 4
- Canon Visualiser - closed circuit magnifier that enlarges text and images on a screen/monitor, available on level 2
- Magnifying glasses (hand-held) - request at Information Desks on levels 1-4
- ZoomText – screen magnification software with speech, available on levels 2-4 with large print keyboards. Headphones are required when using this equipment. These are not supplied but may be purchased at the Library Shop
- OpenBook - software that transforms scanned text into speech, available on levels 2-4. Headphones are required when using this equipment. These are not supplied but may be purchased at the Library Shop.
Adaptive technology computers are available on levels 2-4. These provide access to:
- ZoomText and OpenBook software
- State Library’s website and the Internet
- Catalogue, eBooks, databases and eresources
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Wheel-chair accessible public access computers are available at The Edge (in the Digital Media Lab and Fabrication Lab) and on levels 1-4 of the State Library building at South Bank.
State Library membership is required for computer access.
Further assistance is available, whether online, by phone or in person, through the Ask Us service.