Remembering Brisbane's ‘punk pioneer’ Ed Dziduch aka Ed Wreckage
State Library of Queensland would like to acknowledge the recent passing of Brisbane ‘punk pioneer’ Ed Dziduch aka Ed Wreckage.
Originally from Sandgate, Ed and four mates formed the band The Leftovers in 1976. Beginning in parallel to The Saints from Brisbane’s southside, The Leftovers mostly played shows in suburban halls and practice rooms. In the conservative climate of late 1970s Brisbane, punk concerts were not looked upon fondly, and The Leftovers shows often ended with a heavy-handed response from the local police. Despite the hostile surrounds The Leftovers carved a name for themselves and grew in both popularity and notoriety.
The band’s only release, a 7” EP released in 1979, is now considered a classic of its genre and a testament to the frustration and alienation felt by many young people in the Brisbane of this period. The Leftovers folded that same year, having burned brightly in their brief existence, blazing a trail for the Brisbane music scene that followed, and achieving legendary status in the broader punk community. Ed continued on with numerous other bands and occasionally reformed The Leftovers, always staying connected to Brisbane’s music scene. His presence will be missed by many.
The State Library of Queensland was lucky enough to conduct an extensive interview with Ed in 2020 which is now live and can be viewed via our One Search catalogue.
Ed also recently assisted in the State Library acquiring a number of original The Leftovers posters from the late 1970s which featured in the recent Cut Copy exhibition. These can also be viewed on the library catalogue.
- Ed Wreckage oral history - interviewed by Phil Parker. Apart of the collection - Brisbane and Ipswich 1970's-1980's music scene interviews
- 32501 Ed Wreckage posters
- 29127 Paul O'Brien Collection 1970-1987 - Photogrphs of punk bands and fans in the Brisbane punk scene from the late 1970s to the early 1980s.
- Cigarettes and alcohol : I only panic when there's nohting to do ; No complaints / The Leftovers - Sound recording
- At the Solicitor's Request / Various - Sound recording
- Stranded : the Saints & the birth of punk in Joh Bjelke Peterson's Brisbane by Serge Ou director.