Renaming of two Queensland mountains
By Tania Schafer, Librarian, State Library of Queensland | 31 May 2018
This month two of Queensland mountains have been renamed under their traditional names.
- Gai-i (previously Mount Wheeler)
- Baga (previously Mount Jim Crow)
- Mountains get new names to sever link with racist past by Felicity Caldwell. Brisbane Times, 18 May 2018
- Emotional Push to return iconic landmarks to Darumbal names by Amber Hooker. The Bulletin (Rockhampton), 22 February 2017
- Racist Past: The history of our place names by Amber Hooker. The Bulletin (Rockhampton), 22 February 2017
For more information view Watson, F., & Royal Geographical Society of Australasia. (1944). Vocabularies of Four Representative Tribes of South Eastern Queensland : With Grammatical Notes There of and Some Notes on Manners and Customs, Also, a List of Aboriginal Place Names and Their Derivations (available to view online)
Tania Schafer - Librarian, State Library of Queensland
Your email address will not be published.