Brain boosting activity in the kitchen
Ignite your little one’s passion for food! Turn meal preparation into an enjoyable experience for the whole family to share.
Preparing the meal as a team creates an opportunity for talking and learning for your toddler or pre-schooler and is a great brain boosting activity that can be repeated every day.
Here's a few tips to get you started:
- Decide together which ingredients to get out – talk about what they are called as you collect them
- Talk about which ingredient to cut up or measure first. Does your child know the names? Can they tell you which to choose?
- Talk about how to prepare fresh ingredients. Do we have our apples with skin on, skin off, seeds in or seeds out?
- If you’re following a recipe, read and follow the steps together. Your local library will have great children’s recipe books that are filled with pictures to help involve young children.
- Talk about where some of the ingredients come from before they found their way into the fridge? Are they grown under the ground or on a plant, or are they from an animal ... which one?
Your child needs simple everyday activities like this one that provides chances to interact, chat and learn together with you.