LOTE (Languages other than English) resources at your public library.
There are over 340 public libraries in Queensland offering a wide range of services. Find your local public library in the directory of public libraries.
Public libraries in Queensland are fun and free for everyone! Library staff are there to help you even if they don't speak your language.
Visit your local library to:
- Enjoy activities and events for children and young people
- Learn new computer and Internet skills
- Use technology to communicate with family and friends wherever they live
- Get help with English skills
- Borrow books, magazines, newspapers, CD's and DVD's
- Read books for adults and children in over 50 languages
- Discover collections that document Queensland history, including its rich cultural heritage
The State Library of Queensland LOTE collection has over 70,000 items in over 50 languages. Each language includes reading material for adults and children. Some language collections also include large print books, talking books, DVD's and CD's. This service is available for free from your local library.
Many local public libraries host English conversation groups. Ask your library staff about free English classes and other language activities, or for a referral to language classes in your community.
Resources for improving English
State Library's adult literacy collection has resources to assist with improvement of reading, writing and numeracy skills, as well as learning English as a second language.There are resources for students and literacy tutors including:
- English learning for LOTE speakers
- workbooks on grammar, spelling and comprehension in print and audio
- books and audio material on numeracy and everyday living skills such as job searching, using technology, and safety at the beach.
- easy to read novels and short stories
- IELTS work books
- teaching theory and practice books for tutors
Library staff can assist tutors with:
- information on the literacy collection and the wide range of library resources available
- free public spaces for conducting classes or one on one sessions
Contact your local public library to find out more.
Newspapers and radio from around the world.
Radio Garden - Listen to live radio from around the world, streaming live, 24/7, as it happens. Spin the globe and hover the marker over any live station (highlighted by a green spot)
Queensland multicultural heritage
Find out more about your family history.
Digitised photographs, including cultural events, multicultural communities, festivals, soldiers and much more, available via One Search, our catalogue.
Digitised photo albums on Flickr include themes on cultural groups.