Reading aloud and talking about what you're reading with your child from babyhood is the single most important activity you can do to help your child develop the language and literacy skills that will last them for a lifetime. The development of the brain is very rapid in the early years, and research shows that reading plus singing playing and talking every day with your child helps prepare them for school. Early engagement of children in learning opportunities builds basic skills, and creates a strong foundation for success and well-being later in life. It helps children to learn from you about words and how they work, in addtion to developing their imagination and language development and puts in place the building blocks for literacy.
The following sites provide information on early learning and the importance of reading to children.
First 5 Forever
- Talk, read, sing, play so growing brains get what they need. Find out more about free activities for families with children aged 0-5 at your local Queensland public library, on
or the website.
Little Big Book Club
- The Little Big Book Club offers useful advice on how to read to your child, and includes a list of recommended titles by age.
Raising children network
- The Australian parenting website provides information on the importance of reading with babies.
A flying start for Queensland children - Learning in the early years
- Information from the Queensland Government about learning in the early years, and school readiness for your child.
- Promotes reading with young children from birth to 5 years. Let’s Read, an initiative of the Centre for Community Child Health, is being disseminated across Australia in partnership with The Smith Family.
Children’s Youth and Women’s Health service: Parenting and Child Health
- This site explains the importance of literacy for young children, with a range of useful information, tips and resources.
Office for Early Childhood Education and Care
- The Department of Education and Training has developed a series of helpful tip sheets for parents, plus information on quality education and child care options.
Early Childhood Australia
- Early Childhood Australia is the peak early childhood advocacy organisation, acting in the interests of young children, their families and those in the early childhood field. This site provides information around the rights of children and coordinates current news, reports and topical issues. Includes information on how children learn.
- A useful site for general information about parenting. Features include information about the stages of child development, health news, exploring special interest topics, and links to recent ABC programs about childhood issues.