How to enter
- Read the guidelines to make sure you are eligible to enter
- Write a short story of up to 2,500 words
- Format your story using our tips
- Make sure your name doesn't appear anywhere on the story
- Submit your entry online during the entry period
There is no entry fee for the Young Writers Award.
Tips for writing a great short story
- Focus on one idea
- Get to know your characters and what they want — this will help drive the plot
- Start close to the action to hook the reader
- Use language that comes naturally to you
- Most importantly, have confidence and write the story you want to tell
We can't wait to read your work!
If you have any questions about the Young Writers Award, please contact the Reading and Writing team at State Library of Queensland by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.