How to enter
- Read the guidelines to make sure you're eligible
- Write a short story of up to 2,500 words (one entry per person)
- Format your story using our tips
- Make sure your name doesn't appear anywhere on the story
- Submit your entry online during the entry period
The Young Writers Award is free to enter!
Tips for writing a great short story
- Know the form by reading other short stories
- Get to know your characters and what they want – this will help drive the plot
- Start close to the action to hook the reader
- Use language that comes naturally to you
- Most importantly, have confidence and write the story you want to tell
We can't wait to read your work!
Still have questions? Email the Reading, Writing & Ideas team at State Library of Queensland via email@example.com.