- How to enter the Young Writers Award
How to enter the Young Writers Award
The Young Writers Award is an annual short story competition for Queensland residents aged 18–25
Entries for the 2023 Young Writers Award are now closed.
Entries closed 5 pm AEST, Monday 15 May.
How to enter
- Read the terms and conditions of entry to make sure you're eligible
- Write a short story of up to 2,500 words (one entry per person)
- Format your story using our tips
- Make sure your name doesn't appear anywhere on the story
- Submit your entry online during the entry period
The Young Writers Award is free to enter!
Tips for writing a great short story
- Know the form by reading other short stories
- Get to know your characters and what they want – this will help drive the plot
- Start close to the action to hook the reader
- Use language that comes naturally to you
- Most importantly, have confidence and write the story you want to tell
We can't wait to read your work!
Still have questions? Email the Reading, Writing & Ideas team at State Library of Queensland via email@example.com.
You can learn more about short stories and the craft of creative writing.