Talk to teach from day one
Chit-chat with your child is a valuable experience for both of you. A simple conversation every day can help them develop language and communication skills.
Here are some ideas to make talking more a part of your everyday routine:
- Talk about what you’re doing, what you can see, and what interests your child.
- Share or tell stories that interest your child. Repeat favourites again and again.
- If a word in a book or conversation is unfamiliar, don’t change it or skip it. Instead, show your child a picture, the real object, or an action that lets the child know what the word means. You can also explain it using words or concepts they already understand.
- Point out symbols, letters and words you see on street signs and posters.
- Talk about, signs, posters or labels when shopping, and show children recipes and instructions as you follow them together.