“Ask First 5 Forever”: hands-free tips and ideas for families
Looking for suggestions for fun, brain-boosting activities to share? Need a refresher on your favourite nursery rhymes? You can “ask First 5 Forever” and get hands-free help using your smartphone or smart speaker.
- Get free weekly tips with easy ideas to boost you child's early literacy development.
- Listen to nursery rhymes sung by our "Errol the frog" character, and ask for your child's favourites over and over (and over!) again.
- Receive book recommendations from First 5 Forever and discover new stories to share.
How does it work?
Use Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant on your phone or smart speaker.
To use it for the first time:
- Use a voice command to access First 5 Forever:
- For Alexa: "Alexa, open First 5 Forever"
- For Google: "Google, talk to First 5 Forever"
- You’ll be invited to provide your child’s name and date of birth if you want to personalise your tips.
- Next, ask for a tip, nursery rhyme or book recommendation.
Once you've done your initial set-up, you can check back weekly for your next tip, or ask for the content you want. For example, you'll be able to "ask First 5 Forever to play Twinkle Twinkle".
What can I ask for?
Our voice-activated content includes tips tailored to your child’s age, including ideas to help you boost their brain development by talking, reading, singing and playing every day. You can even ask First 5 Forever to send you a new tip every week.
You can also play and sing along with your child to a range of nursery rhymes sung by our Errol the frog character.
We also have wonderful book recommendations so you can discover new stories to share with your child.
Try these ideas to discover fun, simple content for you to try with your family:
- “Ask First 5 Forever for a tip”
- “Ask First 5 Forever for a nursery rhyme”
- “Ask First 5 Forever for a song”
- “Ask First 5 Forever for an activity”
- “Ask First 5 Forever for suggestions”
- “Ask First 5 Forever for book recommendations”
Help! It’s not working!
You can say "help" and your voice assistant will provide tips about voice commands you can try.
If you’re having trouble using the First 5 Forever voice assistant, check our FAQs. If you are still having problems accessing our tips, activities and songs please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know what you think
We are excited to bring you this new way to connect with First 5 Forever. We'd love to know what you think, as your experiences and suggestions can help us to improve this technology and its features. Please email us at email@example.com to share your feedback.
Download Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa to your smartphone to access early literacy tips on the go!