The Edge is your space to explore your creativity across the arts, technology, science and enterprise. The Edge provides access to specialist media labs and spaces to work on creative projects, along with a vibrant program of workshops, events and opportunities for creative development. Free wi-fi is available throughout the building, even when the Library is closed. Opening hours can be found on The Edge website and upcoming programming is listed in the calendar. The Coffee Shop on level 1 is designed to provide you with caffeine and snacks while you indulge in your creative pursuits.
Food and drinks are allowed everywhere except in Labs 1 and 3.
At The Edge, you can find:
1. Reception - located just inside the main entrance on Level 1. Visitor Services Officers can show you around the building and assist you with bookings and enquiries.
2. The Edge Auditorium - the largest of The Edge venues, the Auditorium is a multi-function open plan venue with sprung wooden flooring, lighting rig, large projector and screen. The space is regularly used for talks, conferences, performances and exhibitions and is available for hire.
3. Window Bays - with floor to ceiling windows and sweeping city views, the eleven window bays comfortably seat up to 12 people per bay. These petite spaces are perfectly suited for meetings, study groups or small presentations and workshops. You can book a bay before you arrive for your visit.
4. Lab 1 - outfitted with high-spec Mac computers, the lab has all you need to produce a professional piece of creative work. Software ranges from top of the line professional programs, such as the full Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, through to open source programs. You can book a Mac online before you arrive for your visit.
5. Lab 2 - the area is a practical, flexible working space suitable for groups of up to 40 people. It is ideal for projects and workshops that involve building, making, hacking and engineering. The space is regularly programmed for workshops and is available for hire.
6. Lab 3 - a compact sound recording studio including near-professional equipment and specialist software. It uses the latest Mac hardware and is aimed at audio engineers, but also features video editing packages such as Final Cut Pro to design sound for films. Recording time can be booked online but you must first complete the Lab 3 Induction Course. Upcoming induction dates can be found on The Edge calendar.
7. Coffee shop
8. Basement - located on level 0, the Basement contains specialist fabrication and science equipment used for workshops and projects. The space is not typically available for general public use.
9. Mezzanine - a breakout area
Information: Our friendly staff are here to help. Visit Reception on level 1
wi-fi: Available through SLQ during opening hours, and 24/7 in the Knowledge Walk.
Cloakroom: Drop off your large items at the Welcome Desk on level 1.
Feeling hungry? Visit the coffee shop for The Library Cafe on level 1 for delicious meals, snacks, refreshments and great coffee.
Access: We are family friendly with space for prams, baby-changing and feeding. We have disability access, parking, facilities and adaptive technologies to access our collections.
Join the library: Become an SLQ member for immediate access to our collections and services. Visit our Membership section to sign up now or to find out more, or visit the Welcome Desk, level 1 or Information Desk, level 2 and 3.
Stay in touch: Subscribe to receive updates from us in the post or via email. Pick up a Stay in touch card from any Information desk or sign up online.
First aid: If you need help, visit an Information desk on levels 1, 3 and 4.
Discover an eclectic range of books, gifts, reproduction prints and more at the Library Shop.