The historic goldrush town of Croydon is located in the heart of the Gulf Savannah, 562 km west of Cairns.
When first settled in the 1880s Croydon was a large pastoral holding covering an area of approximately 5,000 km2. Gold was discovered in 1885 and by 1887, the town's population had reached a staggering 7,000.
Gold was to be the mainstay of the district for four decades. The Mining Warden left in 1926 as there were too few miners left on the field. During its heyday, Croydon was the fourth largest town in the colony of Queensland.