Early childhood participation in 2020 Premier’s Reading Challenge!
With a few weeks left in the Early Childhood participation registration period, there is still time for your centre to join thousands of other children across the state in the Premier’s Reading Challenge which closes 28 August 2020. The challenge aims to encourage as many children as possible to read, experience and enjoy books, including books in languages other than English, and audio books.
The Early childhood participation period in the 2020 Premier’s Reading Challenge launches on 17 August. Early childhood centres and programs can nominate a Premier’s Reading Challenge coordinator (PRC) to register their centre or program and encourage their children and families to participate.
The PRC coordinator will:
- register the centre to participate in the challenge in the PRC database
- select which week (7-day period) to run the challenge in their centre during the early childhood participation weeks from 17–28 August 2020
- pass PRC information on to all room coordinators
- download and distribute Early childhood record form to class
- submit reading achievements into the PRC database and preview Certificates of Achievement by Friday 4 September 2020.
The challenge is open to all state, non-state and home-educated students from Prep to Year 9 and children enrolled at an early childhood centre.
The PRC aims to encourage as many children as possible to read, experience and enjoy books, including books in languages other than English, and audio books.
In 2019, more than 2.31 million books were read by more than 168,000 Queensland children and students from 937 schools and 386 early childhood centres.
Free resources available
You’ll find everything you need to know for this year’s challenge on the How to register page as well as NEW interactive reader record forms, posters and bookmarks on the Downloads and forms page. The PRC book lists are a helpful guide for reading material.
The Premier’s Reading Challenge wouldn’t take place without the generous support from corporate partners QSuper, Booktopia, Queensland Ballet and The Courier-Mail.
Key dates for 2020
- 11 May: Reading period commences for Prep to Year 9 students
- 17-28 August: Early childhood participation period
- 28 August: Reading period finishes for Prep to Year 9 students
- 4 September: Deadline to submit details on the PRC database
- 2-13 November: Celebration Week
For more information or to sign up to the PRC Newsletter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.