What is First 5 Forever?
First 5 Forever is about improving the outcomes for all Queensland children aged 0-5 years by supporting confidence around communication and learning through simple, everyday experiences. First 5 Forever directly supports parents and primary caregivers as their child’s first and most important educator, and provides families with increased access to the resources they need through public libraries and online. Find out more by visiting your local Queensland public library, the First 5 Forever website or connect on Facebook.
- The Australian Early Development Census data for 2012 shows that 26.2% of Queensland children are developmentally vulnerable or at risk on one or more developmental domains – including language and cognitive skills. Queensland ranks sixth behind the other states.
- Approximately 62,000 children were born in Queensland last year.
- 36% of Queensland parents of 0–2-year-olds do not regularly read to their children or participate in informal learning 4.
- 52% of Queensland parents of 3–8-year-olds do not regularly read to their children or participate in informal learning 5.
- Current research shows that the parents and caregivers’ role in supporting their child’s literacy and language development in their very early years is not well understood in Queensland.
- Vocabulary at age 4 is highly correlated to reading comprehension in year 4.
- Research shows that children surrounded by daily activities such as reading, storytelling, singing and sharing rhymes will experience more comprehensive vocabulary, language and cognitive development before they start formal kindergarten and school programs.
- The critical development window for early years literacy development is 0-3 years.
- Queensland children need to start kindy and school stronger in their language and comprehension development and with more confidence in reading.
- $20 million in resources has been committed by the Queensland Government over 4 years to First 5 Forever.
- 72 local government regions will benefit.
First 5 Forever for Libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Key messages for Parents and Primary Caregivers
- Fact sheet - Baby Rhyme Time
- Fact sheet - Story Time
- First 5 Forever videos