War and Peace: Distant Lines opening event
This event is now in the past.
Join us for a community day of reflection as we celebrate the opening of Distant Lines: Queensland voices of the First World War.
Enjoy a range of music events, including exclusive performances by the Queensland Symphony Orchestra, commemorative activities, workshops, talks, curator's tours, and family focussed learning activities. Plus, join discussions around the legacy of war and reflect on how war can be avoided in the future.
Music: Throughout SLQ from 10am–4pm catch various community bands performing music from the First World War period entwined with key contemporary songs of hope and peace.
- Brisbane Brass | 9.45am–10.30am | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, no bookings required
- Emotional Frontiers | 2pm–2.40pm & 3pm–3.40pm | Auditorium 1, level 2 | Free, bookings required
Talks: Hear from specialist guest speakers on both the home front and war front during the First World War; then join us for a white gloves experience and discussion on the role of organisations devoted to peace and their role in the war.
- The Great War – John Thompson | 12noon–1pm | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, no bookings required
- White Gloves Experience: Peace and Pacifism | 10am–11am | White Gloves Room, level 4 | Free, bookings required
- Gallery Talk: War front | 11am–11.30am, 12noon–12.30pm | SLQ Gallery, level 2 | Free, bookings required
- Gallery Talk: Home front | 11am–11:30am, 12noon–12.30pm | Philip Bacon Heritage Gallery, level 4 | Free, bookings required
Workshops and activities: Learn how to write a love letter with a celebrated author and crochet a poppy for a soldier to add to the commemoration wall in SLQ Gallery.
Workshops and activities include:
- Beginners Crochet Workshop | 12noon–1.30pm | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, bookings required
- Intermediate Crochet Workshop | 2pm–3.30pm | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, bookings required
- Writing a Love Letter | On the hour from 12pm–3pm | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, bookings required
- Poetry: Write a goodbye | Every half hour from 10.30am–2.30pm | SLQ Gallery, level 2 | Free, bookings required
- Paper crafting poppies | 12pm–4pm | Knowledge Walk, level 1 | Free, no bookings required
- Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Meet at Reception, level 1, State Library
- Free, some bookings required
- More information:
- Contact the State Library