The long tail of war symposium: day 1
This event is now in the past.
Remembrance Day marks the end of First World War hostilities, but did the war truly end on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918?
As part of the Q ANZAC 100: Memories for a New Generation program, The Long Tail of War Symposium will explore the aftermath of war and the stories of what happened to the soldiers and nurses who returned home.
The two-day symposium will feature individual presentations and panel discussions from historians, writers, journalists and curators covering themes on returning home; health, wellbeing and medical; remembrance; economic and social impact and the ripple effect.
Day 1 presenters include:
- Dr Carolyn Holbrook, historian at Deakin University and coordinator of the Australian Policy and History network
- Mr Ian Townsend, journalist and author, will be the evening's MC.
Day 2 presenters include:
- Professor Bruce Scates, Australian National University
- Associate Professor Martin Crotty, University of Queensland
- Professor Emerita Joan Beaumont, Australian National University
- Mr Michael Bell, Australian War Memorial
- Professor John Pearn, Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
- Dr Geoff Ginn, University of Queensland
- Dr Bart Ziino, Deakin University
- Dr Jon Piccini, University of Queensland
- Dr Carolyn Holbrook, historian at Deakin University
- Mr Ian Townsend, journalist and author
Join us for this fascinating symposium that will reveal the stories of what happened next as we commemorate the centenary anniversary of the Armistice.
Can't attend? Each day of the symposium will be broadcast on our Livestream.
Part of Q ANZAC 100: Memories for a New Generation, a joint initiative between the Queensland Government and the Anzac Centenary Public Fund.
How to book:
If you wish to attend the two days, please use the drop down menu to register for both events separately. Please note the symposium is across two different State Library venues.
- Tue 6 Nov 2018, 6:30 pm - 07:30 pm
- SLQ Auditorium 2, level 2
- More information: