BrisMakerFest is an event designed to showcase advanced manufacturing and emerging technologies in Queensland; promote STEM skills and their fundamental importance to advanced manufacturing; encourage the sharing of ideas and techniques between industry and makers; and promote opportunities for attracting younger people into a manufacturing role.
The program includes international and local speakers; a range of exhibitors including makers and manufacturers; masterclasses; and, a schedule of workshops on wearable technology; 3D design and printing; and furniture making; drawbot robot building; and creativity and computer science.
The one-day program for the BrisMakerFest includes:
- Official opening – The Hon. Dr Anthony Lynham MP, Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
- Marita Cheng, 2012 Young Australian of the Year and Executive Director of Robogals Global – ‘The amazing world of engineering’
- Dr Catherine Ball, 2015 Telstra Business Woman of the Year and co-founder of the start-up ‘She Flies’ which inspires gender equality in STEM careers – ‘Drones and STEM’
- Professor Göran Roos, academic, technologist, businessman and thinker – ‘The future of advanced manufacturing/business innovation’
- Kelley Roy, Founder and Owner, Art Design Portland (ADX) USA – ‘ADX Makerspace’
- Chris Bridges-Taylor, General Manager, B&R Enclosures – ‘Advanced manufacturing: a local business success story’
Workshops and activities
There will also be three two-hour workshops (open to the public aged 16 years or older) on:
- 3D design and printing
- Wearable technology
- Fabrication of furniture
- A range of exhibitions including makers and manufacturers, and pop-up primary and high school makerspaces promoting STEM activities
- Roving robots
- Masterclasses held in the Conversation Café
The BrisMakerFest will be interactive and provide lots of opportunities to see what is new in manufacturing and emerging technologies. You can also find out if the new wave of manufacturing holds a career for you.
Presented in partnership with the Department of State Development.
BrisMakerFest activities are not safe for children under 5 years of age
- Sat 3 Jun 2017, 9:30 am - 05:00 pm
- The Edge, State Library
- $10 all day; $5 half day (9.30am-12.45pm or 1.15 - 5pm)
Essential. To register and find more event information, please visit the BrisMakerFest website.
- More information:
Mon to Fri 9:00am–5:00pm (07) 3840 7329
Sat and Sun 12:00–6:00pm (07) 3842 9400