Congratulations to Kahli Scott, winner of the Young Writers Award 2013!
Kahli was presented with the prestigious award and $2000 for her short story Lingerie.
Judges were impressed by the strong characterisation and distinct narrator voice in Kahli’s story, as well as the clear and structured narrative arc. The assurity of story and strength of character made it a stand-out favourite.
The 2013 Runner up, and recipient of $500, was Nabila Ahmed for her story On the Mend.
The following authors were recognised as highly-commended entrants:
Renee Poole for Immortality
Luke Rutledge for Windows
Greg Mackenzie for The Green Dress
Grace Kirk for Chickenpox
The Young Writers Award is a short story competition (of 2,500 words or less), open to Queensland residents aged 18 to 25.
The 2013 judging panel comprised award-winning young adult author Sue Gough, The Courier-Mail Arts Editor Nathanael Cooper, author and past Young Writers Award winner Alasdair Duncan, and Queensland Writers Centre Program Manager Aimée Lindorff.
The Young Writers Award winner, first runner-up and four highly commended entries each received a prize pack.
- $2,000 to the Young Writers Award winner
- $500 to the first runner-up recipient
- 12 month youth membership to Queensland Writers Centre
- 12 month membership to Australian Writers Marketplace online
- Admission to a Queensland Writers Centre workshop or industry seminar
- Admission to a Brisbane Writers Festival workshop
Hints on writing a short story
- Be confident in your writing.
- Relax and don’t try too hard. Use language that comes naturally to you and when you’re writing, try to let it flow.
- Judges are looking for stories with distinctive and interesting characters and plots – get to know who your characters are and where your plot’s going first, and the language will follow.
- They’re all good ideas, but don’t try to cram them all into one piece. Think about your core themes and characters and stick by them - your loyalty will pay off in the end.
For more writing tips, visit Queensland Writers Centre or read up on some of the past winning stories.
Read the winning stories
- 2013 winning story: Lingerie by Kahli Scott
- 2013 Runner up: On the Mend by Nabila Ahmed
- 2013 Highly commended: Immortality by Renee Poole
- 2013 Highly commended: Windows by Luke Rutledge
- 2013 Highly commended: The Green Dress by Greg Mackenzie
- 2013 Highly commended: Chickenpox by Grace Kirk
- Phone: +61 7 3840 7768
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org