SLQ Young Writers Award 2014
Congratulations to Michael Day, winner of the Young Writers Award 2014 for his story Zen Master!
The judges were impressed with Michael’s polished and well-rounded story which captures the vulnerability and awkwardness of the transition into adulthood.
The 2014 Runner-up and recipient of $500 is Lucinda Bopf for Fish, a memorable story full of originality and ambition.
The judges also recognised four highly commended entries for 2014:
- Regan Lynch for Fog on the Highway
- Tina Gaudry for Ziggy the Bagman
- Kimberley Smith for The Beekeeper's Wife
- Molly Glassey for The Deep End
The Young Writers Award is a short story competition (of 2,500 words or less), open to Queensland residents aged 18 to 25.
The judging panel selects the winner and runner up of the Young Writers Award 2014 and four highly commended entries.
The judging panel consisted of Simon Groth, writer, editor and Manager of if:book Australia; Ellen van Neervan, writer and winner of the 2013 QLA David Unaipon Award; Jarryd Luke, Queensland Literary Award nominee and Director of Townsville Writers & Publishers Centre Inc; and Frances Whiting, journalist, author and Sunday Mail columnist.
The Young Writers Award winner, first runner-up and four highly commended entries each receive a prize pack.
- $2,000 to the Young Writers Award winner
- $500 to the first runner-up recipient
- 12 month youth membership to Queensland Writers Centre
- 12 month membership to Australian Writers Marketplace online
- Admission to a Queensland Writers Centre industry seminar
- Admission to a Brisbane Writers Festival seminar
- Be confident in your writing.
- Relax and don’t try too hard. Use language that comes naturally to you and when you’re writing, try to let it flow.
- Judges are looking for stories with distinctive and interesting characters and plots – get to know who your characters are and where your plot’s going first, and the language will follow.
- They’re all good ideas, but don’t try to cram them all into one piece. Think about your core themes and characters and stick by them - your loyalty will pay off in the end.
Read the winning stories for 2014
- 2014 winning story: Zen Master by Michael Day
- 2014 Runner up: Fish by Lucinda Bopf
- 2014 Highly commended: Fog on the Highway by Regan Lynch
- 2014 Highly commended: Ziggy the Bagman by Tina Gaudry
- 2014 Highly commended: The Beekeepers Wife by Kimberley Smith
- 2014 Highly commended: The Deep End by Molly Glassey
- Phone: +61 7 3840 7768
- Email: email@example.com