Are you a budding writer?
Are you aged 18 to 25 and live in Queensland? Enter your short story of 2,500 words or less in the SLQ Young Writers Award and you could win $2,000 and career launching opportunities.
Entries open Friday 16 May.
The Young Writers Award is a short story competition (of 2,500 words or less), open to Queensland residents aged 18 to 25.
The judging panel will select the winner and runner up of the Young Writers Award 2013 and four highly commended entries.
The Young Writers Award winner, first runner-up and four highly commended entries each received a prize pack.
- $2,000 to the Young Writers Award winner
- $500 to the first runner-up recipient
- 12 month youth membership to Queensland Writers Centre
- 12 month membership to Australian Writers Marketplace online
- Admission to a Queensland Writers Centre industry seminar
- Admission to a Brisbane Writers Festival workshop
How to enter
- Write your own original short story of 2,500 words or less.
- Download the electronic Entry Form + Conditions of Entry document (available from 16 May) and make sure your submission complies with all of entry requirements.
- Fill in the electronic entry form and save it to your computer.
- Email the entry form and your story submission to email@example.com with 'Young Writers Award submission' in the email header by 5pm Friday 18 July.
Hints on writing a short story
- Be confident in your writing.
- Relax and don’t try too hard. Use language that comes naturally to you and when you’re writing, try to let it flow.
- Judges are looking for stories with distinctive and interesting characters and plots – get to know who your characters are and where your plot’s going first, and the language will follow.
- They’re all good ideas, but don’t try to cram them all into one piece. Think about your core themes and characters and stick by them - your loyalty will pay off in the end.
For more writing tips, visit Queensland Writers Centre or read up on some of the past winning stories.
Read last year's winning stories
- 2013 winning story: Lingerie by Kahli Scott
- 2013 Runner up: On the Mend by Nabila Ahmed
- 2013 Highly commended: Immortality by Renee Poole
- 2013 Highly commended: Windows by Luke Rutledge
- 2013 Highly commended: The Green Dress by Greg Mackenzie
- 2013 Highly commended: Chickenpox by Grace Kirk
- Phone: +61 7 3840 7768
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org