Indigenous Writing Fellowships
Entries for the 2014 black&write! Indigenous Writing Fellowships are now open.
Please read the conditions of entry, submit your entry by 31 January 2014 using the form below, and contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries. Best of luck!
The two winners will each receive:
- $10,000 prize money
- manuscript development with black&write!'s Indigenous editors at SLQ
- publication by prestigious Indigenous publisher Magabala Books
Conditions of entry
- All entries must include a completed entry form (DOC 67.0 KB)
- There is no entry fee.
- In general only single-authored entries will be accepted, with the exception of an illustrator for the Children's Book. Co-authored entries will only be considered if both writers are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and entrants must contact the black&write! project to discuss their entry prior to the closing date of the competition.
- Where a children's book is submitted with illustrations, the author and illustrator will be considered joint entrants and the fellowship prize will be split equally between the two entrants.
- All entries must be the work of the entrant.
- Adult Fiction manuscripts must be a minimum of 60,000 words.
- Young Adult manuscripts must be a minimum of 40,000 words.
- Poetry entries must be a minimum of 30 poems.
- Children’s book entries must be complete in story with, if illustrated, all illustrations submitted as copies – no original illustrations accepted at entry stage.
- There is no limit to the number of eligible entries per writer. However, each individual entry must comply with the entry conditions.
- Entries currently entered in other writing competitions or under contract to a publisher or agent or subject to contractual negotiations are not eligible.
- The winners of the fellowship will have their works edited to publication standard by the black&write! Indigenous editors.
All entries must be presented in the following format:
- double spaced lines
- 2cm minimum margins on both sides of page
- printed on one side of page only
- typed or word processed
- on A4 paper, loose-leaf format, no binding
- a Word document disk of the manuscript must be included with each entry
- the entrant’s name to appear only on the first page of the manuscript.
Deadline for entries
The deadline for entries for the 2014 fellowships is 31 January 2014.
- The fellowships will be awarded by the State Library on the advice of a selection committee with extensive knowledge of Indigenous writing.
- Every entrant will receive assessment comments on their manuscripts.
- No correspondence will be entered into once the decision has been announced. The Judges' decision on the eligibility of an entry will be final. Judges may invite entries for consideration.
- All entries become the property of the State Library and will not be returned to the applicant.
The State Library reserves the right to:
- not accept any ineligible, incomplete or late entries
- not award a Fellowship during a particular round.
Fellowship recipients will be expected to work co-operatively with the Indigenous Editors through to the completion of their manuscript. The awarded manuscript shall not be published prior to this process completion.
Previous Fellowship recipients
- Jared Thomas, Calypso Summer
- Tristan Savage. Rift Breaker
- Scott Prince and Dave Hartley, Deadly D and Justice Jones: Making the Team
- Teagan Chilcott, Rise of the fallen
- Jillian Boyd (Writer) and Tori-Jay Mordey (Illustrator), Bakir and Bi
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 07 3842 9985
black&write! has been generously supported by: